Thursday, August 16, 2007

Video Games and Beefheart


Being a nocturnal creature I get bored as shit sometimes. The girlfriend, as well as most of the regular friends, have day jobs so on weeknights when I'm not working I usually de-compress by traversing the net. Lately, the choice for passive entertainment has been watching video game videos. That's right, watching videos of other people playing video games.

As sad and pathetic as it sounds there are actually some pretty successful sites that feature just this. The Speed Demos Archive and Next Gen Walkthroughs are the main culprits for my late night time wasting. At these sites you can see people play through the first Super Mario Bros. for the NES in five minutes or watch the entire marathon length run-through of a modern title such as Gears of War for the XBox 360.

Well, tonight's online hangout ended up being Youtube and I found something strange that I couldn't help but share. It is a few incoherent clips from some game called Runescape with one of my favorite Captain Beefheart songs playing underneath.



Leave it to the internet to completely weird you out. But this weirded me out in a nice. . . special way. It make me want to put Mithril strings on my strat and make ready for a battle the the fell dragon Smog.

Anyway, I couldn't help but also post this live performance of the same song. The audio goes out of sync at the beginning but it is still an inspiring performance for me.



Although Beefheart was known for his more out there shit (which I also really enjoy) I think he did the conventional styles as good as anybody. Thanks Don.

No comments: