Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Hardware Powered Plug-in Comparison: UAD-1 vs TC Powercore


Ok, so maybe you read my last post about the new computer. One thing I neglected to mention was that I included two UAD-1 cards in the mix. For those of you not familiar with the technology, the cards basically power specially designed effect plugins that emulate vintage gear. The plug-ins are greatly lauded within the digital audio community and are available only when you have the cards (PCI or PCI-e) installed in your computer. I purchased two since I got a deal from a friend and also they came with lots of credits towards buying the premium plug ins.

Anyway I have been using the plugs and have been greatly impressed. Unfortunately, my monitors are still set up at my old DAW so I've only listened through headphones. Speaking of the old DAW, I had installed another hardware powered DSP processor that I liked on that one, the TC Electronics Powercore. Since I was feeling like taking a break from my current project I decided to do a quick little mixing test to help me get aquainted more with the UAD-Plugs.

I put together a very simple and short little diddy with no effects and then went into mix mode. I tried to stay as close as possible in the applications of the effects while still trying to make it sound good. Here are the results:

Mix with UAD-1 plugs








Mix with Powercore plugs








Of course this isn't exactly scientific but i feel like the UAD-1 plugs had a bit more balls while the TC plugs were a bit smoother. The powercore in the old computer is not even available anymore but it seems that they offer the same plugs on their current Powercore models. You can buy more plugs for the powercore but with the amount of credits I got to spend at the UAD store I ended up paying about the same while getting some of their premium plugs.


UAD-1 Plugs used:


  • Neve 1073 EQ - lead guitar and right channel rhythm (very nice for shaping)
  • PulTech Pro EQ - across the drum loop (really brought out the snare)
  • LA2A - bass compression, (sounded awesome)
  • Plate 140 - verb send, mostly lead guitar and a little drums (smooth, very nice)
  • Neve 88RS - Very light compression across the master buss and slight HPF, no eq.


Powercore

  • EqSat - same as uad only with "saturation" enabled for lead track only (didn't like)
  • EqSat - also across drums but with "saturation" enabled (harder to get setting I liked)
  • 24/7•C- bass compression (definitely prefered the UAD version)
  • ClassicVerb - same as with UAD (I love this plug and it is easy on CPU)
  • Vintage CL - tried doing some slight master bus compression, it was ok.



Overall the UAD wins in my book. The plug-ins are straight forward and powerfull. I particularly like the interface of the eq's. One can get used to working in a DAW environment where every eq has 6 or more bands of fully parametric crap that really doesn't do anything. When you are presented with a three band eq like the UAD-1's Neve 1073 that actually has a lot of power to shape your sound it is very refreshing.

Read More

No comments: