Thursday, October 2, 2008

New Blog Focus

Obviously it has been a while since I have posted on this little blog. In that time many changes have taken place in my life and career and I feel it is important for my voice's new direction to get a little bit of explanation. I am still working in the technical and creative world of sound on a daily basis but, as with many of my ilk currently and in previous times of financial troubles, am needing to branch out a bit. So, in short, I had to get a day job.

To my suprise, I am finding my new line of work suprisingly interesting. The best way I could describe the current position is as filling in the communication gaps for a small firm. This includes writing informational and technical literature, "media" outreach, and advertising research. Technical writing is fairly simple thanks to my experience at my old old job.

As for "media" outreach I have done a ridiculous amount of research on the subject. There are quite a number of tasty nuggets I have found in the blogosphere. Probably the most straightforward one recently has been Max Gladwell's post on PR 3.0 which addresses the problem of keeping my job directly. As for convincing management about such ideas, that's a different story. I find it easiest to repeat that the essence of public relations is relationships with those that have an audience.

Take a clue from Karl Rove and Winston Churchill. Keep repeating your message. The stiffs will get it after about a thousand times.

No comments: