Saturday, September 22, 2007

Excited for Sonar 7

So yeah, it's been a while since I've last posted anything. I've been busy on a few projects and junk. Finally there is actually some good news to write about and I got a little free time.

Sonar 7 was released last Friday and as you might know I've been a loyal Cakewalk user for over a decade. Of course the Sonar forum has been flooded with rhetoric regarding the new release. Some of it is rather creative in fact. The downside is that more time is spent ranting than helping others out. Whatever.

It does look like a nice new set of features will be there. Cakewalk even produced a few videos:

Smart MIDI Tools
Integrated Step Sequencer
CD Ripping

Each of these seem like really useful features but in my opinion the biggest (and longest overdue) upgrade is the side-chaining feature. If you are unfamiliar with the notion of side-chaining it is basically using one audio source as a controller for a device or plug-in that is effecting a different audio source. The most common application is for de-essing an overly sibilant vocal but it is also the basis for many other effects. The most radical effect I can think of which requires side chain support is vocoding.

Of course there are other new toys and if you want to learn more about them you'll want to click on these words right here.

So yeah, I'll be upgrading this puppy as soon as I got the scratch.

No comments: